HYPO-VITAMINOSIS D IN INDIA
International Osteoporosis Foundation in 2009 reported that about 96% of neonates, 91% of healthy school girls, 78% of healthy hospital staff, and 84% of pregnant women in North India and 40% of males and 70% of females in south India were diagnosed with hypovitaminosis D(1,2). Vitamin D deficiency leads to deteriorated bone health, such as rickets in children and osteomalacia and osteoporosis in adults (2).
1. Vishwanath, P., Kulkarni, P., Prashant, A., 2014. Vitamin D deficiency in India: Are we overconcerned? International Journal of Health & Allied Sciences 3, 77. https://doi.org/10.4103/2278-344X.132688
2. Singh, P., 2018. Treatment of Vitamin D Deficiency and Comorbidities: A Review. J Assoc Physicians India 66, 75–82.
3. Vitamin C Deficiency | National Health Portal of India. Available from: http://www.nutrition-atlas.nin.res.in/nutritionatlas/vitd.php
Vitamin D functions by regulating the calcium-phosphorus homeostasis and controls bone metabolism, helps in absorption of calcium in gut and keeps bones adequately mineralised and healthy. Our formulation has a unique blend of vitamin D, calcium, magnesium and vitamin K2, to maintain bone mineral density (BMD).
1. Christakos, S., Dhawan, P., Porta, A., Mady, L.J., Seth, T., 2011. Vitamin D and intestinal calcium absorption. Mol. Cell. Endocrinol. 347, 25–29. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mce.2011.05.038
2. Goltzman, D., 2018. Functions of vitamin D in bone. Histochem. Cell Biol. 149, 305–312. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00418-018-1648-y
Vitamin D deficiency has been reported in several chronic conditions associated with increased inflammation and deregulation of the immune system, such as diabetes, asthma, and rheumatoid arthritis. These observations, together with experimental studies, suggest a critical role for vitamin D in the modulation of immune function.
Sassi, F., Tamone, C., D’Amelio, P., 2018. Vitamin D: Nutrient, Hormone, and Immunomodulator. Nutrients 10. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu10111656